The Brain to Behavior Neuroscience Program (B2B) embodies an empirically driven, distinguished, and comprehensive framework to map the unique composition of the brain. The brain is made up of over 100 billion cells and is responsible for processing, integrating, and communicating sensory information, most bodily functions, as well as behavior among the many things governed by the brain. Like with fingerprints, no two people have the same brain anatomy and functioning. The uniqueness of each brain is a result of a complex combination of genetic factors and individual life experiences. Experiences and life circumstances influence the anatomy of the brain over a lifetime. Objective neuro-based tools can be utilized to individually map the brain to inform an individualized-treatment plan. Experiences make their mark on the brain throughout life; the Brain to Behavior team collaboratively works together with each patient to make dynamic, healthy, positive, and lasting changes to the brain and overall life.
The B2B Program works with the patient to understand biological, psychological, social, and spiritual facets of the individual.
The evaluations in this process are supported by scientifically validated methods. The discoveries are used to identify the positive and or negative impacts on the individual’s health and wellness.
About our Team
The B2B Program is directed and developed by clinical neuroscientist and psychologist, Dr. Lukasz M Konopka. We are comprised of a multi-discipline care team who are passionate about your care. We are lifelong learners who participate in continual education and scientific inquiries, and are committed to our life’s work of helping individuals and families live fulfilling lives.
What can I expect from the B2B program?
The B2B program focuses on promoting your strengths and managing your view of weakness. You will learn to modify behavioral and emotional barriers, to rewire and reframe thought processes that prevent you from living a productive life.
The program also centers on understanding your personal identity. Patients will learn how to identify, interpret and manage external and internal emotional triggers, make sound decisions and enhance communication skills through empathetic listening and questioning. These skills give the patient flexibility and opportunity to respond to life challenges effectively and appropriately.
What treatments are used in the B2B program?
Our patient-centered approach may combine the use of several modalities provided by a team of clinicians. Our providers are as unique as our patients, each has specific skills and therapeutic approaches, which are matched to treat the specific needs of the patient.
- Neurofeedback/biofeedback - encourages your brain to enter states that promote behaviors such as relaxation, concentration, meditation, attention, and focus. Patients gain the ability to control brain activity, influence emotions/body states and manage behaviors.
- Mindfulness — learning effective forms of self-awareness, recognizing being in the moment and gaining control and freedom of your thinking.
- Cognitive-Behavioral therapy - offers skills to restructure existing negative cognitive schemas, improve self-awareness, impulse-control through top down approach and develop the ability for emotional management.
- Art Therapy — accesses areas of yourself that are non-verbal or difficult to articulate otherwise. No art experience is required to participate in the therapeutic effects of creative expression.
- Family Therapy – participate in therapeutic work with an individuals family to understand impacts and create meaningful change in the family dynamic and ways in which the family communicates, manages and operates.
- Group Therapy – participate in therapeutic work with other individuals in a group setting fostering peer feedback and learning.
- Pharmacotherapy – pharmacological interventions may be prescribed to enhance behavioral changes and address an imbalance in brain biochemistry, neurotransmitter systems.
What types of evaluation are utilized in the B2B Program?
Four types of approaches are used to evaluate and collect information from participants.
- Biological Evaluation — medical history, genomic testing, electrophysiological testing (quantitative electroencephalography or qEEG) and an analysis of cognitive, emotional, and pharmacological conditions. Additionally, other functional (PET, SPECT, fMRI) and structural neuroimaging methods (MRI) may be utilized.
- Psychological Evaluation — Assessments can include informal tests, school records/reports, observational data, behavioral assessments, and standardized neuro-psychological and physiological tests.
- Social Evaluation — A detailed interview with your support system (friends, family, school and others).
- Spiritual Evaluation - Identifies your participation in a belief system(s) and is used to recognize the positive and or negative impacts on your health and wellness.
What types of evaluation are utilized in the B2B Program?
We work with people of all ages, throughout the life span. Each patient receives a unique and individualized treatment. The ideal patient is committed and willing to engage in the therapeutic process. The most successful patients are willing to learn about one’s self, one’s personal experiences and is motivated for change.
What can B2B patients do outside of the program?
Patients are required to actively participate in therapeutic processes outside the B2B Program. Healthy, beneficial activities may include:
- Establishing and maintaining proper sleep hygiene
- Daily physical activity
- Balanced nutrition
- Using Alpha Stim Technology (delivers microcurrent to brain which relieves anxiety, normalizes mood, and helps you sleep better)
- Reflecting on health and wellness
- Practicing and exercising nonjudgmental communication skills
To schedule an appointment or to learn more information about DuPage Medical Group’s Institute for Personal Development’s Brain to Behavior Program, call 815−999−3179.