COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines
As of Wednesday, May 12, everyone ages 12 and up are eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine in Illinois. We encourage everyone who is eligible to get a vaccine as soon as they are able to schedule one.
COVID-19 vaccines work and have been proven safe through testing, Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) and several months of use in the United States. All presently available vaccines offer substantial reduction in the risk of severe COVID illness, hospitalization and death. These vaccines are a critical component to putting the pandemic behind us.
At our vaccine clinics, patients will schedule their second dose appointment for the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine while they are being observed for 15 minutes following their first dose.
COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine Booster for Immunocompromised Individuals
The CDC now recommends that people whose immune systems are compromised moderately to severely should receive an additional does of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine after their initial 2 doses. The additional dose should be received at least 28 days following the second dose of initial Pfizer or Moderna mRNA vaccine series. (No booster is recommended if your initial vaccine was the Johnson & Johnson single dose vaccine.)
Additional doses are recommended for patients who have:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
You may schedule your additional dose of vaccine by completing the Symptom Checker in MyDMGHealth (MyChart) or by calling 888−693−6437. We will ask that you attest to one of these criteria when scheduling your appointment through MyDMGHealth or over the phone.
Our vaccine booster doses will be administered at the following locations. You will receive a booster of the same vaccine as your initial series:
- 801 Ogden Avenue, Lisle – Pfizer
- 430 Pennsylvania Avenue, Glen Ellyn – Moderna
- 17495 South LaGrange Road, Tinley Park — Moderna