You’ve hit that stage: Your little one is putting anything and everything in their mouth. The first time they swallow a clump of dirt or munch on a slab of cardboard can be terrifying (and disgusting).
Fortunately, many of the things that kids tend to swallow are called swallowed harmless substances. These can include certain non-solid or non-food substances, and bad-looking, ‑smelling, or ‑tasting food. While they carry minor risks, they typically are not cause for alarm.
On the other hand, there are certain things that are poisonous — and even life-threatening.
Depending on what and how much your child eats, they may need anything from simple monitoring at home to seeing their pediatrician to getting immediate emergency care.
So, what should you do when your child decides to fix themselves a non-traditional snack?
Want to learn more about what to do if your child eats something they shouldn’t? Schedule an appointment with a Duly pediatrician.